Wednesday 11 April 2007

Way to Go, Ikea!!

I am so happy that one major retailer has finally decided to take the big step of charging for plastic bags! Ikea, way to go! Singaporeans simply uses too many plastic bags. On the average, each Singaporean uses 600++ plastic bags a year! Shoppers have made it a habit to ask for extra plastic bags. The cashiers and packers at the checkout counters have make it a habit to give additional bags. A typical NTUC checkout experience goes like this;

Usually I will bring the huge Ikea reusable bag when I go grocery shopping, I will ask the NTUC auntie to put everything I buy into the reusable bag. She will proceed to pack the items into plastic bags and then put the bags into the big bag. When I protest, she will rebut with "Aiyah, you don't put plastic bags, the bag will be wet."Duh...

On the ocassions when I forget to bring the Ikea bag, heavy items like, canned food, rice, etc..., will be put into double bags. As usual, I will protest . "Auntie, one bag is enough, I live in the next block. I will reach home soon." Our friendly NTUC auntie will give me the friendliest smile and say "Never mind, never mind, two plastic bags stronger." and proceed to double-bag everything.

Plastic bags are non-biodegradable, they take up so many precious space in our landfills. When they finally decompose, they release harmful gases into the environment. Plastic bags also choke up our waterways, our rivers and our oceans. So I will continue to minimise my plastic bag usage until they invent a biodegradable bag. One person might not make a huge difference but it helps. 600 less plastic bags to choke up the ocean this year!!

No comments: